Fire guts apartment building at Ooni of Ife’s palace.
On Friday at around 11:30 pm, a building apartment situated within the courtyard of the palace of the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Ojaja II, was engulfed in flames. This was confirmed in a press release issued by the Director of Media and Public Affairs at the Ooni’s Palace, Mr. Moses Olafare, on Saturday in Ile-Ife. The release explained that the cause of the inferno was a power surge that caused an explosion in the electrical appliances within the affected apartment. Fortunately, the fire did not spread beyond the affected building, which was located in a specific section of the palace premises. The release further stated that the fire was immediately put out through the collaborative efforts of the Government Fire Service, OAU Fire Service, and Palace Emergency Control Unit. The Director expressed gratitude to God that there were no casualties, injuries, or cultural items lost in the incident.